Saturday, April 19, 2008

Our visit to Brigadoon today

Today we were at Brigadoon for about an hour and a half, and then I was finished! I spent time with only three dogs this week, so I was able to spend more time with each one. Denise brought out Bond first this time, then Gypsy, and finally Tate.

You can see in the pictures that Bond was excited to see me :), and was very focused on the blanket behind me. I held his leash and "walked" him around the office area for a little bit. We hung out together, although I was more interested in watching my reflection in the glass.

Once again, it seemed that Gypsy seemed to be the most interested in me. She kept following me around!!! She and I played with a tennis ball for a while--she would bring it to me and put it in my hand, and my mom would stand behind me and make me throw the ball to her. Gypsy also put her leash in her mouth and handed it to me.

Finally Denise brought Tate out. I was pretty wiped out by this time and didn't really want anything to do with anyone. I hung out with Tate for a while, but I was not very cooperative!

So, where does that leave us? Well, like I mentioned in my last post about visiting Brigadoon, Denise is looking to see if there is an "ah ha" moment between me and a dog. Denise video taped me interacting with Gypsy for a bit today. She's looking to see which dog is the most interested in me. So, we're going to keep going up and visiting to see if a bond form between me and one of the dogs. This is a little more complicated than it seems. You see, it takes me a while to get used to a new environment--especially one that I'm not around very often. So this is still kind of tough because I'm not used to the Brigadoon facilities. When we get there all I want to do is check out the environment because it's something "new". It's hard for me because not only do I have to navigate a new environment, but I also have to navigate being around dogs (which is something I'm not used to--we don't have any pets at home). As it stands now, Mom is going to take me back up there within the next couple of weeks, and pretty soon Denise will do a home visit with one of the dogs so that I'm in an environment that I'm used to. So that's where we're at. :) See below for some pictures of our visit today. Have a good weekend!
Love,
Aaron

p.s. My mom got a new camera battery today, so she can take pictures of my next tornado of destruction! :)



Here is Bond getting the blanket that's behind me.



This is me giving Gypsy a little love squeeze.



Gypsy is coming over to see what I'm doing.



I'm giving Gypsy some treats.



Tate is checking me out.



Tate is really checking me out! :)

3 comments:

Dawn said...

All the dogs are so cute!! I think Gypsie likes you! ;)

Jackie said...

I still think we should find a kangaroo service animal...he loved those :)

Caitlin said...

Im so glad you decided to go with brigadoon, I volunteer there, and I was working with Denise to teach Bond to "wait" and to "block" That is such a wonderful program, and you have a very handsome son! I wish you the best of luck!

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner